Saturday, December 10, 2011

Other Desert Cities: No Oasis Here

With just one glimpse of the set of Other Desert Cities I knew I would instantly recognize the family that lives there -- affluent, conservative, and self-posessed. 

I was excited about seeing this show because of my friend's cryptic comment. She said only, "We must talk!", and refused to say another word until I had seen the play. Once I had seen it, she revealed that she hated it for many reasons. I did not hate it, but I did not think it lived up to the great reviews it received.

The first word that comes to mind is "overwrought." There was much hand-wringing and multiple plot twists. But in the end, I did not feel as if I had learned much about any of the characters. The daughter's mental breakdown felt unnecessary, as if it was tacked on to explain her need to write her memoir. I'm not really sure of the purpose of the aunt's character. Was she written just as a contrast to her sister? I don't really know.

The two most interesting characters were the sons -- one dead, one living. The dead son remained a mystery to me because, although his life and tragic death was at the center of the family's conversations, I learned precious little about who he really was. Maybe that's the point -- that they didn't take the time to find out what made him tick. The younger son, practically invisible to the rest of his family, became self-sufficient.

Based on this experience, I would happily eschew visiting this "desert city."

No comments:

Post a Comment